Cult Japanese-inspired artisan sushi store, Sushi Sushi, is coming to town and shouting lunch. With a whopping 137 stores in Australia, Sushi Sushi has finally flown across the ditch and landed on NZ soil and we can’t wait!
The home of the convenient hand roll – no cutlery required – Sushi Sushi is opening at newly developed Botany Town Centre in Auckland this week (Thursday May 2).
The first 100 hungry punters through the door will enjoy a free hand roll at the new spot’s Grand Opening Matsuri (colourful Japanese festival).
Developed from ancient flavours, they offer an easy and accessible healthy feed with ‘grab and go’ fridges, hand roll cabinets and New Zealand’s first ‘Create Your Own Hand Roll Station’.
Customers can take their taste into their own hands choosing from more than 20 locally-sourced, fresh ingredients including pin k beetroot rice, hot crispy chicken, salt and pepper squid, jalapenos and more. ‘Hand roll artisans’ will delicately make the creation in full view.
The matsuri will last a full month with celebrations including children’s sushi master classes, free Japanese calligraphy, cultural performances and the chance to win a trip for two to Japan.
What: Grand Opening Matsuri – first 100 people through the door receive a free hand roll
Where: Botany Town Centre, 588 Chapel Road, East Tamaki, Auckland
When: Thursday 2nd May, 9:00am-9:00pm
Thursday May 2nd
- Taiko drumming demonstration. Feel the beat while local group Kumo Taiko performs 11:00am-11:30am
- Calligraphy. Have your name written in Japanese calligraphy for free by local artist Rie Shibasaki 10:00am-2:00pm
- Win a trip to Japan. Snap a picture with the Golden Koi for your chance to win a trip for two
Saturday May 11th
- Kids’ Masterclass. Learn how to build your own hand roll from skilled sushi artisans 10:00am – 12:00pm
Saturday May 18th
- Origami workshop. Learn the traditional Japanese art of folding paper with local artist Jean Francois Vognin 10:00am – 12:00pm